Enjoy an Apple Cinnamon Danish Pastry with a cup of tea. Great for breakfast, brunch, or just because! Perfect way to use up apples from apple picking!
There is just something warm and cozy about a warm danish full of cinnamon and apples!
Click here to save this recipe on Pinterest!
So, I talk to you a lot about how Italians enjoy their pasta dishes but when it comes to cinnamon it’s a different story.
Cinnamon is just not a common spice to use in pastries and desserts. You tend to find nutmeg, cardamom and anise.
When we were in Italy last November I made the family these pumpkin pie turnovers. While they liked the turnovers, they were not a fan of the cinnamon. Oh well, more for me!
FOR THE PASTRIES:
For these pastries, a few simple ingredients are needed.
I used puff pastry. Thaw it for at least 20 minutes before you start to roll it out.
If it is too cold you won’t be able to get nine pastries out of one sheet. You might only get six, so the pastry needs to be good and thawed.
FOR THE APPLES:
For the apples, I went with green apples because I like the tartness of them that goes so well with the sweetness of the cream cheese.
Any variety can be used, but I had green apples on hand, so I went with that. Lastly, you can definitely use more than eight slices per pastry.
I only had a few apples in my refrigerator, so I kept the amount low. If you want to use more, go for it!
Folding the pastry around the apple is super simple. Don’t worry too much if the pastry is covering the apple slices.
It will unfold a little during the cooking process.
Make sure to use the egg wash. This will give it a nice golden color and help the pastry stay in place.
Want to follow along?
If you’re on Facebook come check out this fun little group I’ve got going on. Instagram is a fun resource I’m using right now. If you make any recipes make sure to tag them #bittersideofsweetrecipes so I can see your creations!
Want to connect more with The Bitter Side of Sweet? Follow at:
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry, thawed
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 4 Green Apples, cored and sliced
- Egg Wash
- For the Glaze:
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 1 baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl add cream cheese, sugar and cinnamon. Beat on medium high until creamy.
- Roll out pastry. Cut pastry sheet into 9 squares. Lay on baking sheet.
- Place 1 tablespoon cream cheese mixture on the center of each pastry.
- Evenly divide apple slices and place in the center of each pastry.
- Fold edges of pastry over apple. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- In small bowl whisk together powdered sugar and milk.
- Drizzle over pastry.
- Serve and ENJOY!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 179Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 97mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 3g
*Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice*