The best way to ring in Spring with with lots of citrus recipes including these Lemon Donut Holes!
Click here to save this recipe on Pinterest!
Now my last sweet post was this upside down brown sugar apricot cake and I had told you how I gave up cake for Lent. You may be wondering if I actually ate these donuts as well? Yes, Yes I did!
I actually made these for Fat Tuesday along with these mint chocolate donut holes but I decided to hold off on sharing these until now.
These lemon donut holes are by far my favorite! I actually made the lemon flavored twice because I was trying to figure out how to intensify the flavor of the lemon.
The first time there was just not enough lemon juice or zest so the second time I made them I added almost double of each and I believe I succeeded in getting that flavor to come through.
For more lemon recipes:
Want to follow along?
If you’re on Facebook come check out this fun little group I’ve got going on. Instagram is a fun resource I’m using right now. If you make any recipes make sure to tag them #bittersideofsweetrecipes so I can see your creations!
Want to connect more with The Bitter Side of Sweet? Follow at:
- 1 stick butter, melted
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon yeast
- zest of one lemon
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- lemon zest
- Preheat oil to 375 degrees in large pot or fryer.
- Mix together butter and sugar.
- Add one egg at a time and mix between each egg.
- Mix in lemon juice.
- Add flour and yeast to wet ingredients. Stir till dough forms.
- Knead a few minutes with your hands.
- Stir in zest.
- Break off approximately 1½ Tbsp-sized pieces of dough and roll into smooth, tight balls. Set aside.
- Fry 6 donuts at a time for 3 minutes each batch.
- Place on plate and allow to cool.
- Roll each donut into powdered sugar. Sprinkle with lemon zest. Serve and ENJOY!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 105Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 33mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 2g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice