Celebrate Fat Tuesday or any day of the week with these Mint Chocolate Donut Holes! Ready from start to finish in 30 minutes!
For our preLenten celebration we had a little get together at our home with a few friends. We had a wonderful time eating lots of blue cheese prosciutto pizza which is everyones favorite!
I decided I wanted to make a recipe that was traditional in Italy for Carnevale. What I thought was going to be puffy fried dough ended up coming out to be like donuts but I was super pleased with them!
The donuts or castagnole that I made that night were lemon flavored! I intended to share those with you guys in a few weeks but I just kind of feel in love with these mint chocolate donuts that I decided to go ahead and give these to you know!
I could not believe how easy the recipe was. I know, I call a LOT of recipes easy such as this apple cinnamon banana bread but when you do not have to use a mixer and can do everything by hand it makes less of a mess and the hands on time so much quicker!
So about these donuts, my daughter told me they taste like the mints that you get when you leave Olive Garden! I said, YES! That is exactly what they taste like.
She is kind of obsessed with those little mints so she was definitely happy to get to enjoy a taste of these sweet balls!
A few notes about the timing of this recipe. I have a large professional style fryer which I believed helped me get them fried up a lot faster but I know that if you just use a large pot you can have the same results!
When searching for a recipe for Fat Tuesday I went to check out some Italian Food Bloggers. If you click over to the original recipe you may not be able to read what they say but there is a video that shows you what to do! Enjoy it!
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoon yeast
- 1/2 cup andes creme de menthe baking chips
- vegetable oil for frying
- For glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oil to 375 degrees in large pot or fryer.
- Mix together butter and sugar.
- Add one egg at a time and mix between each egg.
- Mix in extract.
- Add flour, cocoa and yeast to wet ingredients. Stir till dough forms.
- Knead a few minutes with your hands.
- Stir in baking chips.
- Break off approximately 1 1/2 Tbsp-sized pieces of dough and roll into smooth, tight balls. Set aside.
- Fry 6 donuts at a time for 3 minutes each batch.
- Place on plate and allow to cool.
- Mix together powdered sugar and milk. Dip each donut into glaze. Serve and ENJOY!
Recipe adapted from Ricette della Nonna