Freshly picked apples covered in cinnamon, butter and brown sugar are the simple ingredients you need to make this Simple Apple Compote!
This post was updated August 2018!
Click here to save this recipe on Pinterest!
Because I got an overwhelming response for apples, I decided I would get you some recipes asap!!
I had this compote already made up in my refrigerator so I thought I should probably share it with you since I have so many apple fans.
For this very reason I will be adding to a couple different recipes over the next few weeks.
Since I originally made this recipe in 2013 it has been something I’ve come back to time and time again.
We generally go apple picking each year and are looking forward to our first year of picking in Minnesota!
After getting all of those apples we try to come up with recipe that calls for apples so we can use them up!
What apples to use?
My sisters were asking about what variety of apples to use to make this simple apple compote. You actually can use any kind, although my favorite varieties are cortlands, honey crisp and fuji!
Recipes to make with apples:
Different recipes that I like to make with apples:
- easy homemade applesauce which always goes over well with the kids!
- This easy apple blueberry crisp is simple to make and only takes fruit, honey and oats!
- apple blueberry galette. Since apple and blueberry season are close together I normally have a stock of each fruit in the house.
- When I want to use puff pastry I love making these caramel apple croissants!
- Last but not least, these apple pie cinnamon rolls are super popular and super easy to make!
A few ways you can use this simple apple compote is by topping it over ice cream, using it as the center of this puff pastry apple slab pie or eat it with a spoon!
Want to follow along?
If you’re on Facebook come check out this fun little group I’ve got going on. Instagram is a fun resource I’m using right now. If you make any recipes make sure to tag them #bittersideofsweetrecipes so I can see your creations!
Want to connect more with The Bitter Side of Sweet? Follow at:
Because I love apple recipes so much I thought maybe a few of these would be awesome to try!
- Mini Apple Crisp Baked Apples! I absolutely LOVE the center of these apples!
- Cinnamon Apple Pie Bread! Filled with brown topping and with a cinnamon topping that’s as sweet as apple pie!
- How fun is this Apple Crisp Pizza! Trying this ASAP!
- 1 1/2 cups apples, diced (about 3 apples)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- In a small bowl add diced apples. Pour in cinnamon and stir. Set aside.
- On medium heat, using a medium size pot melt your butter.
- Add brown sugar and stir till the sugar has dissolved.
- Add cinnamon and apples.
- Let the mixture simmer for 15 minutes or until apples are soft.
- Store in refrigerator for up to a week! ENJOY!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 96Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 48mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 0g
*Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice