These Double Chocolate Cupcakes are filled with bits of chocolate on the inside and topped with a creamy chocolate frosting!
I love making cupcakes but I used to always just make them from boxed cake mix, which is totally acceptable in my book.
While it’s acceptable, I wanted to try and make a few homemade cupcakes for the family!
These cupcakes are stacked with chocolate, slightly sweet and perfect for consuming any day of the week!
Click here to save this recipe on Pinterest!
What other flavors can I make?
They were such a big hit that I decided chocolate was next on the list!
How to make these double chocolate cupcakes?
To make these cupcakes you only need a few ingredients!
- Room temperature butter.
- White sugar.
- Vanilla extract.
- Egg whites that are room temperature as well.
- Room temperature milk. If you don’t your mixture will curdle a little.
- All purpose flour.
- Baking powder.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips, and lots of them! 😉
Tips on making these cupcakes come out great!
For one you definitely do not want to over mix. Over mixing can cause cupcakes to be dry and dense.
These cupcakes are a little on the dense side, but they leave you feeling very satisfied and not looking to eat more.
Do not over bake. Check these double chocolate cupcakes at 12 minutes. If they middles springs back to your touch then they are done.
There is also some debate about using a toothpick. I have heard that if your toothpick comes out clean then you have over baked your cake or cupcake. I’ve tried it and it’s actually pretty true, so you don’t want a wet toothpick but it doesn’t need to be completely clean.
Last tip would be to use a large cookie scoop. If you use a medium or small you might have cupcakes that are not uniform in size which will mess with the baking time.
Want to follow along?
If you’re on Facebook come check out this fun little group I’ve got going on. Instagram is a fun resource I’m using right now. If you make any recipes make sure to tag them #bittersideofsweetrecipes so I can see your creations!
Want to connect more with The Bitter Side of Sweet? Follow at:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup milk, room temperature
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips, melted
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- Preheat oven to 375 ° F. Line two muffin pans with liners. Set aside.
- In small bowl whisk together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In large bowl add butter and sugar. Mix till creamy.
- Slowly add vanilla and eggs whites and mix slightly.
- Next add milk and mix slightly.
- Add melted chocolate and mix slightly.
- Slowly add in flour until incorporated. Don't over mix.
- Add 1 cup chocolate chips and stir into batter.
- Scoop into liners and bake for 12-14 minutes or until done. Allow to completely cool.
- In a mixing bowl add cream cheese and powdered sugar. Whisk together on medium low until completely incorporated. Scrape down the sides half way through.
- Slowly add in cream and mix thoroughly.
- Add cocoa and slightly mix.
- Pipe frosting onto the top of cooled cupcakes.
- Serve and ENJOY!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 99mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 4g
More chocolate cupcakes you might like!
- Oreo Cookies and Cream Cupcakes! Really love the oreos in these cupcakes!
- Turtle Cupcakes! Typically I can never pass up caramel, nuts and chocolate!
- Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes! Hazelnut candies are my all time favorite, therefore I know I am will love them in a cupcake!