What a great way to start off the weekend with these Cotton Candy Funfetti Cupcakes!
To finish off the week and because it is FRIDAY I wanted to share with you the star of my daughter’s birthday last week. These cupcakes. I am pretty sure she had no idea that this was what I was going to be making for her. When she saw them she literally was speachless. And let me tell you that is no small feat.
As I told you last Friday we like to have rainbow treats on Fridays to start the weekend off on a happy note. The kids look forward to coming home and seeing what I have made up for them. So when I realized my daughters birthday landed on a Friday I knew rainbows would be involved.
I made these pretty much how I normally do. Cake mix, some added ingredients, icing, flavoring. See easy peasy! What I will tell you is that I experimented with the Duncan Hines Frosting Creations Flavor Mixes for icing. Don’t add it to cool whip or homemade whipped topping. Trust me, it is not good.
I wanted the icing to look like the sky. I wanted it too look puffy and light. Well adding the cotton candy flavor to cool whip and whipped icing made it taste bitter and just gross. Not what I was looking for when it comes to serving these for a kids party. So I pulled out my trusty icing recipe and went for it. Then I added a dollop (try explaining to kids what a dollop means, FUN FUN FUN) of cool whip to have a cloud on top before inserting the rainbow cupcake topper. The toppers are exactly what I did with the Soccer Cupcake Toppers but I just cut out rainbows from here instead of soccer balls. Folded in half. Taped it and inserted the tooth pick directly in the middle. I am so loving the homemade cupcake toppers!! ENJOY!
This recipe is linked at these sites!
Want to connect more with TheBitterSideofSweet? Follow at:
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 funfetti cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 cup greek yogurt plain (I use Chobani)
- FOR THE ICING:
- 6 oz. cream cheese, slightly chilled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Duncan Hines Frosting Creations Cotton Candy Flavor Mix
- FOR THE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare 2- 12 cup muffin tins by lining with cupcake liners.
- In mixer add cake mix, eggs, water, oil and greek yogurt.
- Mix till completely combined.
- Fill liners ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- FOR ICING:
- Mix butter and cream cheese together.
- Add powdered sugar and milk.
- Mix in Cotton Candy Flavor Mix
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
Want more cupcakes? Here you go!