Puff Pastry Sausage Cheddar Pinwheels make a great game day snack. Filled with sausage and cheese they’re great for dipping and so easy to make!
We are full on into game day season. Whether you watch football or basketball it’s time to make all of the appetizers that we can get!
When it comes to game day grub I am all about the food! I want all the wings, nachos and burgers!
Click here to save this recipe on Pinterest!
What kind of sausage should I use?
I typically buy pork sausage because that is what I find for super cheap at my local grocery store. Any sausage you prefer is fine.
I think a spicy Italian sausage would be my next pick when it comes to variety. It adds a kick and tons of flavor!
Your next question might be, do I cook the sausage. My natural instinct was to pre-cook that sausage, but I kept thinking about this.
We make breakfast casseroles all of the time without cooking the sausage, so I wondered if it would be necessary if I was baking the pastry wheels.
Let me reassure you that the sausage cooks up just fine during 15 minutes in the oven, so you do not need to precook it before you make these pinwheels
What kind of cheese should I use?
For the cheese I went with basic shredded cheddar cheese. It melts well and it taste so good with the sausage!
How do I roll out puff pastry?
Let’s face it. This may not always be the easiest part, but you will get the hang of it.
Either way works fine, I just found that rolling it from the long end made it easier to cut.
Want to follow along?
If you’re on Facebook come check out this fun little group I’ve got going on. Instagram is a fun resource I’m using right now. If you make any recipes make sure to tag them #bittersideofsweetrecipes so I can see your creations!
Want to connect more with The Bitter Side of Sweet? Follow at:
These puff pastry sausage cheddar pinwheels first appeared on Food Fanatic!
- 2 puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets parchment paper.
- Whisk egg and water in a small bowl, set aside.
- Unfold 1 pastry sheet on lightly floured surface. Roll lightly into a rectangle.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese, half pound pork, 1 tsp onion powder and 1 tsp oregano.
- Start at long side and roll tightly into a log shape.
- Cut into 12-15 slices. Lay flat on baking sheet.
- Brush with egg mixture.
- Repeat with second pastry sheet and remaining ingredients. Roll and cut. Lay on second baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 299mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 8g
*Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice*
Some sausage and cheddar recipes you might enjoy from around the web!
- Sausage, Egg and Cheese Pastry Muffins! These use puff pastry so I’m definitely on board!
- This sausage macaroni and cheese is calling my name! I can never pass up a delicious plate of pasta!
- These classic sausage cheese balls reminds me of my childhood! Love them!