This Classic Homemade Pasta Sauce or Italian Ragù is an easy meat based sauce packed full of flavor! Top it over any pasta noodle for an easy dinner recipe!
You know what I love about pasta? It’s cheap and easy to make! This classic pasta sauce is exactly what you need! This is our family’s go to sauce. We pour it over all types of pasta noodles and even serve it over rice as well!
Click here to save this recipe on Pinterest!
A long time ago I learned from my mother in-law and hubby how to make this very simple but very flavorful sauce. It’s taken me a long time to finally share it with you!
I’ve adapted it a little over the years to use ingredients that are very common in the US but ones that help this sauce become a staple in your house!
Is it authentic?
Well yes and no. Let me explain what I mean.
In one way it is authentic because of the the type of ingredients I use in this sauce. In another way it is not because in Italy you can find a prepackaged mixture of beef, pork and veal for this ragù sauce or commonly known in other places as bolognese.
Since the mixture of beef, pork and veal is not common I had to adapt. So I went with ground beef. Sometimes I use both ground beef and pork, it just depends on what I have in my freezer.
For the ingredients:
- You always want to start with a mixture of onions, carrots and celery. This is called soffritto or also known as mirepoix. This is the base to any good pasta sauce. It’s cooked in extra virgin olive oil. Which I suggest not using anything different.
- Next are the herbs. You can absolutely use fresh herbs but for frugalness I use dried herbs.
- For the meat, see about my comments as to why I use ground beef normally.
How to make the sauce?
This has to be the easiest sauce! You basically just throw everything in the pan and cook. It cooks in less than 20 minutes, although it is said that if you allow the flavors to slowly cook and marinate together the sauce comes out even more flavorful!
I how you love this Classic Homemade Pasta Sauce or Italian Ragù as much as we do and it’s brings a little of Italy right into. your home!
Want to follow along?
If you’re on Facebook come check out this fun little group I’ve got going on. Instagram is a fun resource I’m using right now, too. If you make any recipes be sure to tag them with #bittersideofsweetrecipes so I can see your creations!
Want to connect more with The Bitter Side of Sweet? Follow at:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 2/3 cup diced celery
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 pound ground beef (or 1/2 pound ground beef and 1/2 pound ground pork)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- In large pan add olive oil, onions, carrots, celery and salt. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Then add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook for 5 minutes or until beef is cooked.
- Add in spices and stir.
- Slowly add in tomato sauce and stir. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over your favorite pasta noodle and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 419Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 1776mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 33g
*Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice*
More pasta recipes with ground beef:
- Homemade Beefaroni Pasta! Homemade Beefaroni is a fast family-friendly meal that reinvents a childhood classic.
- Philly Cheesesteak Pasta! This easy dinner recipe for Philly Cheesesteak Pasta is a cheesy comfort food dish that will become a new family favorite!
- Creamy Beef and Noodle Casserole! Ground beef and tomatoes come together in this creamy, cheesy casserole.
- Minced Beef Pasta Bake! Love the added crushed tomatoes and fennel in this recipe!