This Oven Baked Whole Chicken is cooked up perfectly with lemon, garlic and herbs. Tender, moist and lemony chicken for dinner!
When making dinner, chicken happens to be one of our most common recipes to make, other than pasta! It’s just so versatile and easy!
Click here to save this recipe on Pinterest!
While my hubby was out of work he helped do a lot of the cooking, which allowed me more time to make some fabulous recipes for you guys here.
I am going to admit, this is not my recipe. This is his! He has made this at least once a week for us over the last year! It is a family favorite for dinner!
HOW TO MAKE OVEN BAKED WHOLE CHICKEN!
5 pound chicken. This is the size we normally buy when getting the chicken from the grocery store. If they are sold bigger or smaller you will just need to adjust your baking time. Rule of thumb is that you want to bake it for 20 minutes per pound.
2 lemons. You are using all of the juice from the lemons, then stuffing them inside the chicken while it cooks.
2 garlic cloves. These get stuffed inside the chicken as well.
Herbs. Lots of herbs. It gives the chicken skin great flavor! I used rosemary, basil, oregano and thyme, and salt (which is not a herb) but the possibilities are endless when it comes to herbs!
First, preheat your oven to 415 degrees F.
Next, place chicken into baking dish. Pour lemon juice over the top.
Cover herbs over the outside of the chicken. Sprinkle with salt.
Stuffed 4 halves of lemons into the cavity of the chicken. Then 2 garlic gloves.
Place in oven and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Pull out of oven and brush the skin with olive oil. This allows the skin to really get crispy.
Bake for an additional 10-20 minutes or until inside temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Recipes that we like to make with this oven baked whole chicken are these instant pot carrots! Super hands off and they cook up quickly!
These spicy roasted rosemary potatoes are another tasty side dish. Guess what? You can bake them while you bake the chicken, so it’s a win win situation going on!
Ways to use leftover baked chicken:
- Individual Puff Pastry Chicken Pot Pies! My kids love these single serve pot pies! They think it’s fun to have their own bowl.
- Homemade Chicken Pot Pie. This is with a homemade crust and is perfect for using up the leftover chicken.
- Puff Pastry BBQ Chicken Pizza! We love using leftover chicken to make pizza! This is a favorite of my kids!
Want to follow along?
If you’re on Facebook come check out this fun little group I’ve got going on. Instagram is a fun resource I’m using right now, too. If you make any recipes be sure to tag them with #bittersideofsweetrecipes so I can see your creations!
Want to connect more with The Bitter Side of Sweet? Follow at:
- 1 (5 pound) whole chicken, giblets removed
- 2 lemons, halved and juiced
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees F. Place chicken in baking dish.
- Pour lemon juice over chicken.
- Sprinkle with herbs.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Stuff lemon halves into the cavity of the chicken.
- Stuff garlic cloves into the cavity of the chicken.
- Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Pull out of oven and brush with olive oil.
- Place back in oven and bake fro another 10-20 minutes or until internal temperature is 165 degrees F.
- Remove and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove lemon halves and garlic. Cut chicken.
- Serve warm and ENJOY!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 89Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 722mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g
*Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice*
MORE BAKED CHICKEN RECIPES!
- Buttermilk Baked Chicken! Moist, tender and very flavorful!
- Chicken Leg Quarters Recipe! You only need 5 ingredients and 5 minutes to put these chicken leg quarters together.
- Almond Chicken Recipe! Crunchy on the outside, tender on the inside!
- Crispy Baked Chicken Legs Drumsticks! 10 minute prep time for this super crispy chicken!