Staying on the theme of mint I picked up some Cool Mint Oreos when I was at Target last week. I have been holding them in my baking cabinet, eyeing them every time I open the door. I kept wandering what I was going to make with them.
My daughter needs a snack at school everyday so i knew i needed to make some granola bars for her to take.
When I started to think about the granola bars I also started to think about how I could incorporate these Oreos as well. I definitely knew I would do something really different with these. There are a lot of cookies and cream bars out there on the internet but not a whole lot of granola bars with Oreos. So I said to myself “lets give it a try”
What I love about this recipe is that I decided this time to make my usually mixture but put it in a larger pan. I used my 9 x 13 glass baking dish instead of my 8 x 8. This was helpful because I took half the pan and just made Cool Mint Granola. The rest of the pan I made into these bars.
This serves two purposes for me. One I am not eating too many of these Cool Mint Oreo Granola Bars (like now as I am snacking on them and writing this post) and two I have some granola hanging out in my freezer now, that I can just pull out whenever I want.
In case you are wondering I will do a single post later just for the granola!
COOL MINT OREO GRANOLA BARS
recipe adapted from my Honey Granola Bars
YIELDS: 8 bars
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
COOK TIME: 5 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 35 minutes
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 cups quick oats
1 cup crushed rice Chex Mix
10 Cool Mint Oreo, crushed
6 Cool Mint Oreo, roughly chopped
3/4 cup white chocolate chip
1. Melt butter, sugar and honey.
2. Boil till all sugar has dissolved.
3. Take off heat.
4. In large bowl and add oats, Chex Mix and 10 Oreos crushed. Then pour butter mixer over and stir.
5. Spread out in 9×13 baking dish and rest for 15 minutes in refrigerator.
6. In the meantime, melt white chocolate chips.
7. Pull baking dish out of refrigerator, cut granola in half.
8. On one half of the granola, spread out the white chocolate to make an even coat on top.
9. Sprinkle with 6 Oreos roughly chopped and press down into white chocolate.
10. Rest another 15 minutes in refrigerator till harden.
11. Cut into bars and ENJOY!
to make the entire pan into bars melt 1 1/2 cups white chocolate and roughly chop 12 Cool Mint Oreos. this will make about 16 bars.
This is linked over at tidymom!