Cake like Chocolate Flax Brownies that are egg free with the slight taste of coconut!
I am honored to be a Stonyfield Clean Plate Club Member. This post is in partnership with Stonyfield and Barlean’s. As always, all opinions are 100% my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that allow me to share quality content and recipes with you!
The last time I was here I was reminiscing about Italy, summer and pie. Well then the weather decided to turn cold again and I headed into the kitchen to bake!
I am the type of person who finds solace in baking. When I am feeling down, anxious or just under the weather a bit it does my soul good to be in the kitchen creating.
For that one hour that I am mixing, stirring, and putting something amazing together I feel like I can leave out the world and just put all of my energy into what I am creating.
That is kind of how these brownies came along. I already knew the basic ingredients to brownies so I pulled them all out then I started to look around and found some help from Barlean’s and Stonyfield. They sent me a few ingredients and some recipe books to get me baking. I had never used Forti-Flax before but it has a lot of fiber and OMEGA-3 in it, which is something I have been trying to add to our diet. I added yogurt to the recipe because I knew I would not be adding egg and it helps bind the mixture together!
- I would recommend using a metal pan rather than a glass baking dish. The metal pans tend to more square and this would allow you brownies to cook evenly.
- When adding dry ingredients to wet ingredients, do this slowly or you will have flour everywhere!
- These brownies are more cake like. If you like a fudge type brownie, you can simple melt your coconut oil instead of keeping it solid.
- To make your brownies with more moisture you can add an egg to the wet ingredients.
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Barlean's Forti-Flax
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/3 cup Barlean's Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, solid
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 cup Stonyfield Whole Milk Yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips, optional
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 X 8 baking dish with non stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, Barlean's Forti-Flax, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa.
- In mixer add sugar, coconut palm sugar, and Barlean's Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. Mix until creamy and smooth. Add Stonyfield Whole Milk Yogurt, vanilla and mix untill combined.
- Slowly add dry ingredients. Continue to mix until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread into baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Optional topping:
- Microwave mini chocolate chips and heavy cream for 40 seconds. Stir till creamy and smooth.
- Spread over cooled brownies. Cut and ENJOY!
Recipe adapted from Barlean’s Vegan Chocolate Flax Brownies