As you can tell we like popcorn. Well I like popcorn. I remember growing up as a kid we always had popcorn in the house. Mostly microwavable popcorn in large bags. None of these small single serving bags. Large bags. And we ate a lot. We also had a air pop machine. Man I loved that thing. It was so cool. You could look through the top into the bottom and see the popcorn start to pop. What was even cooler is that we had a butter dispenser on the top of it. It would melt the butter as the popcorn popped and then when it was done you just pour the butter on top.
Well now I am not a butter fan. I really enjoy my popcorn with just a little salt. Don’t get me wrong, I like movie popcorn, but that is on a special occasion, like when I actually visit the movie theater. Now I never use microwavable popcorn. I don’t even buy it. I only pop mine on the stove. The kids love to sit around watch the popcorn pop, as much as I did when I was a kid.
What I enjoy now is thinking up different types of popcorn. Something for the kids. They really enjoy when I produce something new like this. This was created especially for them one Friday. My twinny had given the kids some Rainbow Nerd Rope Candy. So instead of letting them just tear them open and go to town, I thought about adding it to popcorn. It was actually pretty good. Also this is made with melted marshmallows, yum!
So it is even extra special! The popcorn is sweet but not too sweet and crunchy from the nerds. This was definitely a hit for my kids!
RAINBOW NERDS ROPE CANDY POPCORN
YIELDS: 4 cups
PREP TIME: 25 minutes
COOK TIME: 5 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons butter
3 Rainbow Nerds Rope Candy 12 inches long (chopped up)
1. Pour oil into a pot and add popcorn kernels. This should be enough to just cover the bottom of your pot.
2. Cover with lid and cook over medium heat.
3. Popcorn is done when the popping sound slows and only happens every 4-5 seconds.
4. Lay out cooked popcorn on a baking sheet to cool.
5. In a medium pot add marshmallows and butter. Heat over medium heat. Continue to stir till marshmallows are melted.
6. Place popcorn in large bowl. Pour marshmallows over and mix.
7. Add Nerds Rope Candy, stir and ENJOY!
This recipe is linked over at Taste and Tell