Traditional Italian risotto made in a pressure cooker for a quick and easy meal! This Instant Pot Creamy Mushroom Risotto couldn’t be easier!
I’m going to share a little secret with you. I’ve used a pressure cooker for 10+ years. This may come at a surprise to you because I have no pressure cooker recipes on my blog until today. Let me tell you why.
Click here to save this recipe on Pinterest!
So my husband brought a stove top pressure cooker from Italy and taught me how to use it.
Who knew people used these things, I didn’t! So sharing recipes was going to be problematic because the pressure cooker we have is nothing like the ones you find here in the US.
Then walks in the Instant Pot.
My resistance to buying one lasted about a year. The problem was I couldn’t understand why I needed one if we already have a pressure cooker.
Well YOU GUYS love the instant pot. A lot of you received them as gifts. Now you need easy recipes to make. Enter this Instant Pot Creamy Mushroom Risotto.
We have always made our risotto in our pressure cooker and it only takes about 6-7 minutes to make.
That definitely beats for 40 minutes it takes to cook the traditional way.
So I thought it would be fitting to share risotto as my first pressure cooker/instant pot recipe!
TO MAKE THE BEST RISOTTO:
- You need the right kind of rice. Don’t skimp. Buy the arborio. You won’t regret it.
- Use enough liquid. Generally you need to double the liquid.
- The variations to this are endless, such as adding sausage or zucchini! Both equally amazing!
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE:
If you are wondering how long it takes for this meal to cook, I timed it for you. 23 minutes exact from the time I turned on the saute button till I was scooping it out of the bowl. Add a few more minutes in for chopping your onion and you have a quick 30 minute meal.
If you want it to come to pressure faster you can always warm up your broth and water. This would definitely cut some time off the process.
If you’re on Facebook come check out this fun little group I’ve got going on. Instagram is a fun resource I’m using right now. If you make an recipes make sure to tag them #bittersideofsweetrecipes so I can see your creations!
Want to connect more with The Bitter Side of Sweet? Follow at:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 ounces mushrooms and stems
- 2 cups chicken broth, sodium free
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter, without salt
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Turn Instant Pot on sauté. Add olive oil and onions. Sauté for 3 1/2 minutes.
- Add rice and salt. Stir and sauté for another minute. Hit cancel.
- Add mushrooms, broth and water. Stir.
- Hit manual button on Instant Pot and set for 6 minutes. Close lid. Make sure valve is set to seal position. (will take almost 10 minutes to come to pressure)
- When timer is done turn valve to quick release. (Watch out for hot steam)
- Open Instant Pot and stir in butter. Then stir in parsley.
- Serve immediately and ENJOY!
*Nutrition information is estimated and will vary depending on exact serving size, types and brands of products used
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236
More Instant Pot Rice recipes:
Instant Pot Rice from Life Made Sweeter
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken and Rice from The Recipe Rebel
Instant Pot Jasmine Rice from Rachel Cooks