We love all things rainbow and typically have rainbow inspired snacks and treats on Fridays. So when realized her birthday was on a Friday this year of course we had to have rainbow themed cookies, cupcakes and treats!
This is using my basic cream cookie recipe and adding some food coloring to them! I actually used the pastel food coloring just to make our rainbow colors a little different this time! Have a great weekend and ENJOY!!!
Want to connect more with TheBitterSideofSweet? Follow at:
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Pastel Food Coloring
- An kind of cookie cutter., I used a medium flower cutter
- Preheat oven to 325. Prepare cookie sheet using parchment paper.
- In mixer beat shortening and sugar. Add in egg and mix.
- In separate small bowl dissolve baking soda into sour cream.
- Alternate adding flour and sour cream into mixing bowl.
- Incorporate all for a nice soft dough. Put on counter top.
- Separate dough into 6 balls. Keep flour handy. You made need to sprinkle as you go.
- Taking one at a time, add food coloring and mix till the color is incorporated well.
- After you have all 6 balls done, break them each into 6-8 small balls.
- Then you want to place all of the balls on your table and bunch them together. They should be pressing against each other. Then you want to take a rolling pin and roll the balls into one big ball. Just so the colored balls can overlap.
- Use cookie cutter and cut shapes.
- Bake for 10 minutes and ENJOY!
I used this method to make my cookies. http://www.hoorayforbooks.com/butterfly-bites/
Need more cookies? Here you go!
This recipe is linked over at these sites!