I know you are saying Pumpkin? Why pumpkin now when there are rainbows and butterflies and colorful marshmallow bunnies all over the place? Well first it is ok to have pumpkin in the spring, summer, winter and fall. Does it happen often in our house. No not really but it is still ok.
Let me explain. We had some dinner guest a few weeks ago and I, of course, wanted to do a dessert that would wow. Problem is I didn’t have the time, energy, or ingredients to really do a new wow dessert.
So I shuffled through my cabinets and thought ok pumpkin roll. I know how to make that, I know how to make it good. They have never had my pumpkin roll, so this could work.
Now me and pecans have this love hate kind of relationship. Well I am only a fan once in a while. Lately it seems I like them more and more in good recipes. The original recipe actually calls for pecans and I have always left them out.
Also I have been wanting to share this with you since my trip to Italy in December. While I was there I went around and visited some friends. One night I was at, Laura and Siro’s for dinner. Well she pulled out the dessert and some powdered sugar. But wait. It was not just powdered sugar. It was this powdered sugar shaker she got from Munich. I went coo coo over this thing. Oh how life could be easy just for a moment with this little thing in my life. No more pouring the sugar form the bag into a tiny metal strainer and trying to beautifully sprinkle it onto a dessert. Nope no more. I just turn up side and turn, just like you would if you would using fresh cracked pepper. And the best part! It is refillable. Which means I can use it for like ever! Well Laura stopped and was like. Wait! I have another. I picked up two. I will give you one!! She is the best and totally made my day, week, year! Now if we have something like this in America, please feel free to point me in that direction, but I have yet to see this here. Love those Germans and their creativity!! 🙂
Want to connect more with TheBitterSideofSweet? Follow at:
PECAN PUMPKIN ROLL
recipe adapted from Diane Drago
YIELDS: 1 roll
PREP TIME: 1 hour 45 minutes
COOK TIME: 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 2 hours
FOR THE CAKE:
5 oz Chobani Greek yogurt, plain
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup pumpkin
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ginger
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup powdered sugar
FOR THE FILLING:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoon butter
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 375. Line cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper. ( I always use foil for this.)
2. In mixing bowl, mix the ingredients for the cake one at a time. Mixing after each addition.
3. Pour into prepared cookie sheet, spread out and bake for 15 minutes.
4. Take a dish towel that is the size of the cake. Cover with powdered sugar.
5. When cake is done and cooled for about 2 minutes. Fill onto dish towel. Starting at one end, roll the cake.
6. Place in refrigerator to cool for an hour.
7. Prepare filling by mixing butter, cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.
8. Fold in 1/2 cup of pecans.
9. Take roll out of refrigerator, unroll. Spread icing onto cake. Roll the cake back up and refrigerator till ready to serve.
10. When I was ready to serve I sprinkled my remaining half cup of pecans on top and dusted with fresh powdered sugar.
11. Cut and ENJOY! (you get about 12 pieces out of this!)
Interested in more recipes by Thebittersideofsweet! Follow us on:
This recipe is linked over at Buns In My Oven