Pasta con ragú. What is that you might ask? Well let me share. In English that is Pasta with ragú . For Italians ragú sauce is a meat based sauce. Typically served over pasta. Or gnocchi. Or slathered onto a piece of bread works well too.
Now the most common ragú sauce I have heard here in America is bolognese. That is just a regional name for that particular sauce. It comes from Bologna, Italy. My husband is from a town just north of there about 100 miles away.
My mother-in-law makes a very good ragú sauce that I want to share with you. It won’t be the same but it will come close.
The first picture is of my sauce. This second picture is of the plate my mother-in-law served me. She always serves the plate with a spoonful of sauce right on the top as you see I did in picture one. Picture two I had already stirred the pasta up when I took the picture. There is nothing like a ragú sauce in Italy. The texture is different. The meats are different. It is so much more flavorful. Even down to the taste of the noodle and the cheese shredded on top. It makes your taste buds burst and jump for joy. This recipe link is also posted on tasteandtellblog.com if you want to have a look!
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 1 hour and 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour and 30 minutes
1 pound of meatloaf mixture (beef,veal, and pork) or any kind of ground meat you prefer. Turkey works great too.
2 small carrots, peeled and chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
2 sprigs of rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash of ground black pepper
8 ounces Hunt’s 100% Natural Tomato Sauce
1. In cast iron dutch oven (or any large pot) add raw meat, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Place rosemary on top of mixture to the side.
2. Mix well together, then turn on heat to medium.
3. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
4. Uncover and stir. Careful not to mix the rosemary.
5. Cover again reduce heat to low and cook for 1 hour.
6. Uncover remove rosemary, stir and add tomato sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Cook any type of pasta according to directions on package.
8. When done add Ragú, mix and ENJOY!